What is a content strategy?
Content strategy is the high-level planning, execution, promotion, and on-going management of the content lifecycle to support key business initiatives. Essentially, it’s your brand’s game plan for driving traffic, leads, engagement, sales, and other business outcomes through content. When executed well, content strategy is one of the most important components of your marketing strategy.
But, it takes time and money to create great content. So whether you outsource blog posts or develop videos in-house, it’s critical to have a well-organized plan to get the outcomes you want. Your strategy is a playbook that drives action and insight. And like a playbook, it covers a lot.
Your content strategy defines:
- What you’re trying to accomplish
- Who you’re trying to reach
- What types of content you’ll publish
- How your content will support the brand
- The ways in which your content will be differentiated
- How you will promote and amplify your content
- The metrics that define success
You wouldn’t plan a trip without knowing your destination. Content strategy ensures that your content marketing efforts point you in the right direction. Without a well-defined strategy, you may waste a lot of time writing content that doesn’t get the audience impact nor the business results you want.